After all my worry, I was relieved to see, when I opened the kiln, that my pieces were intact and upright and had not ruined Kay’s urn. However, the ash glaze on her urn bubbled and ran down onto the shelf. She will be disappointed.
The lamp base is another project I started several months ago. It is ivory paper clay with cone 5 majolica and underglazes. I painted it whenever I had a little time and the inclination which wasn’t often. I made it for my living room to complement (counteract?) the solid colored furniture. Craig says it looks like a hookah. I can live with that.
It was made in two pieces and put together it is about 2 feet tall. I will epoxy it and then start the process of figuring out what I need to make it into a functional lamp. Oh, should I have figured that out before I started? Every time I am in the middle of a project like this, I wish I had planned all the details like wiring and shade support, etc. first. But I didn’t and I don’t and it usually works out, but undoubtedly with much more work and time spent. OK, the real truth is, when I think about all that, I just want to hand it to someone else and have them wire it and choose a lampshade and then I can just plug it in.
I am getting a little behind on the heads. I started the heads project in part because with all the possibilities in clay its hard for me to focus. Making the commitment to do 20 heads in 20 weeks forces me to at least come back to the same theme for some hours a week. The other reason, of course, is to improve on a sculptural form I am drawn to. What I strive for at the end of 20 heads is to be able to sculpt a head with some technical facility and ideally, and more importantly, to be able to convey emotion and imagination in a face.
OK, after those lofty aspirations, I will show you the funny guy I made last week. Craig thinks its hilarious that after all the human heads I have made with birds, I made a bird with a human head . I think its only fair.