I finally finished this book from the Steven Allen workshop. He said the stain used for the screened image (all of the black parts) would be easily smeared even after the bisque, so the glaze would have to be sprayed on, which is a problem for me, not having a spray booth. I also wanted some color on the image and was nervous about smearing the black if the underglaze touched it, so the “book” sat a few weeks till I got tired of being cautious.
I painted on the underglaze very tentatively trying not to touch any black, till I inevitably slipped and saw that the black stain really didn’t smear that easily, even when wet so I painted right over the stain without any blurring.
I was still worried about putting on the glaze, though, so I used my little metal atomizer to spray enough clear glaze onto the printed surface to cover it and touched up with a paintbrush.
I am amazed at how well this gadget works. It’s really messy though. I should have made a cardboard box “booth” and sprayed into that. Next time.