Here’s my first look at the day old baby Auracana chicks that popped out of their eggs and were popped into a box and traveled 3000 miles before they were 48 hours old. I expected that they would arrive the next day and I didn’t have all the stuff baby chicks need like food and a way to keep them warm. While the babies peeped their little heads off, I ran around town looking for starter food and a red heat lamp. The heat lamp was easy. The chick food, not so easy. I thought for awhile I might have to mash up worms and sowbugs for a few weeks, but then I found a pet store that was willing to part with a half pound of their own chick food till I could get more.
The coop in its almost finished state. It was a little like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. It would have been a lot easier to build if 1. I didn’t vow to only use recycled wood or leftovers from the bathroom remodel last Fall, 2. I had more tools than my vintage saber saw, 3. I had leveled the ground before I started, 4. I had the slightest idea of what I was doing. It is really overbuilt since I had a lot of heavy redwood 3x3s and 3/4 inch plywood. I challenge anyone to find a right angle anywhere.
But in the end, it functions. The doors and lids open and close. It will stay dry and reasonably warm, and most importantly, raccoons will be kept out.
I did decide to go with the stamp. After finding someone with a Thermofax to make a screen, I found that it is too fussy to align and hold the screen down properly on the rounded base and the lines were too messy in the end. The stamped image, with underglaze painted into the indentations and the excess sponged off, looks pretty good. The stamp gives a sharp edge and good detail. You can even see Trixie’s little tooth. I am leaving the bottoms of the bowls unglazed.